ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Extending Ant [was RE: Comparing files in subdirectories]
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:40:48 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
>>For example, a property representing a file could be used in a situation
>>where only the basename is wanted: ${file.property:basename}
>

> I think we mean the same thing -  my 'test case' uses
> jxpath and velocity to navigate object hierarchies, so if 'file' is
> a reference or some object you could navigate through its properties
> ( and probably methods ) without problems.
>
> It should be also trivial to plug in any other form of property
> evaluator - including one that is specific to file. Something like
>   ${file:baseneme:myProperty}
> The property interceptor can 'resolve' any expression - so I guess your
> format can also be supported ( as long as you plug a hook impl. that
> detects and resolves it - but I don't particulary like the syntax you
> sugest ).

The syntax, of course, is up for discussion and as your design allows,
pluggable!  :)

I was following MessageFormat syntax, which seems like a reasonable
scheme to emulate.  What I meant by "file.property" was something set
this way:

	<property name="file.property" location="someFile.txt"/>

So the '.' might have been misleading in my example.

Again, I haven't thought through how all this would play out as much as
you have, so I'm going to defer to your design and rationale until I can
dig into it further and formulate some ideas on it myself.

> The end result would be that the property and reference storage and
> evaluation will be decoupled from ant core and delegated to user-space
> tasks.

Interesting.  Definitely food for thought.  I'm not convinced that the
storage should be decoupled from the core, but perhaps more discussion
could convince me.

> Right now I'm leaning to a small-steps aproach, but I would like
> to know if this would work and how.

Small steps is the only way to go with this!  I'm very pleased to see
such progress made with the Ant 1.5 codebase and evolving it in this
manner.

By the way, I attended a JMX presentation this past weekend and have
been mulling over how MBeans could be used as well :)

	Erik