ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Extending Ant [was RE: Comparing files in subdirectories]
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:03:02 GMT
Bruce Atherton wrote:
>>  Maybe there
>> are things from the framework that could be leveraged to not have to
>> recode
>> everything, but I haven't looked.
>

> You mean something that would provide IntrospectionHelper-like abilities
> inside setDynamicAttribute() and createDynamicElement() so that it
> automatically called the right methods on the newly-loaded class? That
> sounds interesting. Erik?

Yes, definitely interesting.  I thought about these issues when I
committed DynamicConfigurator, but the tough issue is the lookup of
element name to its corresponding class - some kind of registry.  If
your or DD have ideas on how this could be done elegantly and
generically then I'm all for it.

Have a look at the 1.2 version of XDoclet -
http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/1.2beta/ - its got a pretty slick module
facility to dynamically load subtasks and tag handlers.  Subtasks use
the DynamicConfigurator mechanism.  You can simply drop in a JAR that
has the right metadata XML files embedded in its <taskdef> classpath and
it will auto-discover them and make them available.

I have not had a chance to look into the embed proposal but I believe it
shares this same goal of antlib and a more pluggable architecture.

I'd be all over some type of merging of all these ideas including
folding some of the Myrmidon concepts relating to this.

	Erik