ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:44:58 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote:
[...]
> Nicola - I partially understand your enthusiasm. But shouldn't
> you first do this in avalon and cocoon ?

I don't need to lobby over there, it's basically already decided.
Ant was a big ?, and it sparkled a discussion, so I thought it was best
to bring it over here ASAP to avoid discussing about Ant without Ant.

> Centipede is a nice
> project, but I think you're taking a very wrong approach to promote
> it.

Could be. As I said, it was just a stone in the water.
My excuses again if it has upset anybody.

[...]

My comments as an Ant "developer".

> 1. Should Ant have a formal PMC ? My vote is +1

+1 Seems you have already decided, anyway ;-)

> 2. Who should be part of this PMC ? My vote is for 'all active commiters'.

+0

> 3. Should Ant be a top level project ? My vote is -0.

+1

> 4. Should Ant have a domain ant.apache.org ? Certainly +1

+1

> 5. Should Ant leave Jakarta ? My strong -1.

I agree that it should not leave Jakarta for good. There is no need.
But then, what is it leaving: the PMC, the site, the community...

IMO if it makes a PMC, it will leave the _direct_ oversight of the
Jakarta PMC, but it's also important IMO that it doesn't leave anything
else.

I think this would address your concerns.

> 6. Should Ant be transformed into a group of projects including centipede,
> maven, etc ? I think -1.

Stefan was clear on this and I agree too.
Many options were presented, and it seems that an eventual "federation"
will be the best possible solution.

> 7. Should Centipede be accepted in apache/jakarta ? +1

Cool! :-D

> 8. Should Forest be the default content generation in
> jakarta/apache/incubator/etc ? -1 ( for the same reason I -1
> 'lets convert all to maven' )

Currently, we'll try it for the main site, since it seems that the PMCs
are in favor of trying it.

IMO codebases there should decide what they prefer, so I agree with you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -