ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:31:35 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think there is a few different proposals here.
>
> Could/Should Ant be a top level project? We have at least one ASF Member
> (Stefan) so we should "qualify". Do we have enough active members to ensure
> healthy progression ?
>
> Personally I think it would be healthy for Apache if Ant (or a set of build
> related projects) moved to their own top-level project. A possible
> "federation" may be gump, ant, maven, centipede and alexandria (but in
> graveyard mode). This would hopefully make it more likely that people have a
> direct control in their own destiny and would also help promote
> responsibility in the committers.
>
> So my opinion would be +1 for a top level project. Whether it is
> ant.apache.org or tools.apache.org or whatever I don't think is really that
> relevent.
>
> It would also help to get jakarta get back to its original scope which Ant is
> clearly outside of.
>
> Whether Centipede, Anteater or any other ant based products written by Apache
> peeps comes to this project is another question. I have no problem with it as
> long as they go through and graduate from incubator.apache.org when it gets
> it's feet.

Excuses about my reference to Centipede in Ant, it was indeed just a
stone in the water, not a formal proposal.

The original plan was indeed to eventually make it pass the incubator,
and what I envisioned was just _one_ possible outcome.

Anyway, the reference server its purpose since you guys are getting out
your thoughts clear, and I like it :-)

 From a person involved in Ant but not committer:
  +1 for ant.apache.org
  +1 for a tools.apache.org _federation_ for Ant, Gump, Maven, etc...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -