ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:49:16 GMT
Dear Ant developers,

    I'm mailing you following the discussion we are having on
reorg@apache.org list (reorg-subscribe@apache.org) about reorganizing
the Apache project structure.

Some of us think that a more "flat" project structure will benefit
Apache, by making projects interact more directly with the Apache "core"
instead of going through the indirection of Jakarta.

This could help reduce the sub-sub-sub-project syndrome that Jakarta
projects tend to have.

Some projects have already shown interest in making a proposal to the
board for becoming top-level, with their own PMC. Since the next meeting
will be at the ApacheCon, they are getting it ready to submit it at
least a week before that event.

Ant is a very famous project, with a big user and developer base.
As you may know Krysalis Centipede www.krysalis.org/centipede/ uses Ant
heavily, and could be interested joining the Apache Ant project as a
subproject.
I'm quite sure that many Ant-based tool would like to.

So, the question is, what do you think about making ant.apache.org?

Thank you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -