ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Antelope 1.0 beta - Fast and correct Ant builds
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:50:14 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:02, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>>My bottleneck is XDoclet these days, even though its faster now than
>>ever and the latest version does much much better dependency checking
>>too.  And even that being said, its not slow.
>

> You may want to have a look at qdox.sourceforge.net. If you are doing fairly
> straight transforms (like the stuff you do with antdocs proposal) then it is
> a much nicer toolkit to work with and a fair bit faster too.

Yeah, that would be worth considering for the proposal/xdocs stuff.  But
on a positive note, the XDoclet team is working with the qdox folks to
get the best of both worlds.  I'm not sure where this currently stands,
but I've seen some discussions on the xdoclet list.

> Anyways it is fairly nice and much easier to support than xdoclet. However if
> you are doing code generation XDoclet is probably still the one to use unless
> you want to try vdoclet (which apparently uses qdox + velocity for code
> generation). I haven't used vdoclet though ...

On another positive note - XDoclet is rapidly moving towards having a
Velocity templating engine under the covers.

I'm doing tons of code generation using the XDoclet features and its
actually working very very nicely - my last message was not a negative
against XDoclet, more a positive that I'm relying on it so heavily and
that it happens to be used much more than <javac>  :)

	Erik