ant-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Wilson <>
Subject File-related tasks, AND recursive unzip operation
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:41:09 GMT
I have struggled with this problem for a while now and I believe that it
is just not possible, but maybe someone on this list has a different idea.

Basically, what I'd like to do is recurse into a directory tree which
contains some ZIP files, and for each ZIP file expand it out into the
directory it is found in. Using the <unzip> task I can successfully
extract all the ZIP files, but I can't seem to find a way to make the
destination dynamic too. This extracts them into a single root directory:

         <unzip dest="${build.dir}">
             <fileset dir="${build.dir}" includes="**/sample.*.zip"/>

What frustrates me most about Ant is that you have all these
file-related tasks that can work with filesets (copy, unzip, jar, etc.),
but there appears to be now generic file-related task. That is, I could
save myself lots of work if there was simply a task that "for this
fileset, do X, Y, and Z" where X, Y, and Z are some other Ant tasks.

Is it even possible to code such a task for Ant or does Ant's
architecture prevent this?

Shawn Wilson []
Software Developer,
PH: 877-327-0873, FAX: 406-294-5806