ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <davidjen...@directvinternet.com>
Subject Re: JMX and Ant (Re: Extending Ant [was RE: Comparing files in subdirectories])
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:03:06 GMT
On 2002.10.30 20:46:03 -0500 Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Costin Manolache wrote:
> > Ant can't be an MBean server - the 'server' is one implementation of
> JMX
> > ( like MX4J or JMXRI ). Ant can register itself ( Project, Task ) and
> > it can register the tasks. And it can operate on Mbeans registered by
> > other programs.
>
> *scratching my head* - so in a normal command-line run of Ant, MBean's
> would not really come into play.  Only the normal introspection
> population would apply in this case.  right?
>
> > There are 2 sides: one allows other applications to view ant ( and
> > any task ) as an MBean. Using directly the API and calling the methods
> is
> > simple enough, but I think there is a lot of value in exposing it
> > as mbeans. ( this shouldn't be done directly, of course - but using an
> > add-on layer ).
>
> Whats the benefit to Ant users of the MBean architecture?  Or is it only
> for embedded uses of Ant such as Tomcat's compilation and such?

from my biased POV
-better classloading architecture
-ability to "keep ant running" in between build invocations (keep the mbean
server running)
-Web interface to tasks, targets, etc. (this can be quite sophisticated if
you use modelmbeans instead of dynamic mbeans)

I think a lot of the plumbing inside ant can be done using jmx invocations
with great simplification of the ant codebase.

david jencks