ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Ant as a top-level project
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 02:41:52 GMT
Hi,

I think there is a few different proposals here.

Could/Should Ant be a top level project? We have at least one ASF Member
(Stefan) so we should "qualify". Do we have enough active members to ensure
healthy progression ?

Personally I think it would be healthy for Apache if Ant (or a set of build
related projects) moved to their own top-level project. A possible
"federation" may be gump, ant, maven, centipede and alexandria (but in
graveyard mode). This would hopefully make it more likely that people have a
direct control in their own destiny and would also help promote
responsibility in the committers.

So my opinion would be +1 for a top level project. Whether it is
ant.apache.org or tools.apache.org or whatever I don't think is really that
relevent.

It would also help to get jakarta get back to its original scope which Ant is
clearly outside of.

Whether Centipede, Anteater or any other ant based products written by Apache
peeps comes to this project is another question. I have no problem with it as
long as they go through and graduate from incubator.apache.org when it gets
it's feet.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald