ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Antelope 1.0 beta - Fast and correct Ant builds
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:05:24 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Skeet" <jon.skeet@peramon.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 3:01 AM
Subject: Re: Antelope 1.0 beta - Fast and correct Ant builds

> Oh, and while I'm talking about the forums - I personally believe that
> they're going about things entirely the wrong way by replacing the *whole*
> of Ant instead of supplying a library. They say that they need a patch to
> the javac task in order to work, and that's fine - but it would be better
if
> they'd submit that patch to the main trunk. If you agree with me on this,
> making some noise on their forums wouldn't hurt at all :) (It's under the
> "license" thread, IIRC.)

I thought it wrong, but then I thought, hey, they get to field the support
calls related to their version of ant, and decided if they wanted to do
that, I was happy with it.

as an aside, my builds go

-castor to create java from XSD
-javac/jikes
-xdoclet for taglibs, server.xml
-junit tests
-deploy
-httpunit

httpunit would be faster if I switched tomcat to using jikes, xdoclet is
slow and needs tuning, but otherwise its time to test. Maybe junit could run
tests in parallel on an MP system if I asked it nicely.

but what it boils down to is that compilation is no longer the core part of
a build, or the bottleneck. Sigh