ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Porting <fileset> 'file' attribute to 1.5 branch
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 06:07:20 GMT
On Mon, 02 Sep 2002, Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
wrote:

> I'm out of the loop on dirset -
>
> Can anyone confirm if this works as it should?

Haven't tried, but it should work.

>> another question: Why not extend the concept to several files
>> instead of a single file?  E.g.  <fileset file="foo.txt,bar.txt"/>
>
> A FileSet must be rooted at a base directory - this is what makes it
> sometimes painful to work with.

Maybe it is time to drop that restriction in a way?  Say, if there has
no dir been given, assume that the include patterns specify absolute
paths?

> So only a single file can be turned into a FileSet, unless perhaps
> there is logic to climb their directory trees and find a common root
> and base them from there.

Which only works if they are on the same file system for those exotic
OSes with multiple file system roots.

> Wannheden, Knut wrote:
>
>> Further (as I'm not familiar with the details of the
>> IntrospectionHelper) I was wondering what happens if the value
>> identifies a non-existant file.  I suppose I will get a message
>> like "No directory specified for <fileset>.", right?

I think so, as soon as you use it.

> The file does not have to exist for the setter to work.

Not for the setter, but when you ask for the DirectoryScanner and try
to retrieve the results.

> But theoretically it should not matter if the file exists or not
> when the fileset is defined, only when it is used.

Right, should have read up to here before I responded 8-).

Stefan