ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [embed] Standalone release ?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:33:44 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose moving embed out of sandbox and create
>> a standalone release for it, as an official ant module.
>
> Why would you have to move it out of the proposal area to make a
> standalone relase of the module?  This is just a directory name, isn't
> it?

I wasn't thinking about 'moving the code around' for now, just changing the
status from experimental to 'accepted' for a possible m1/beta/release of
embed as a standalone addon for 1.5, and to make sure that the list of
supported features is accepted for ant1.6.

The goal of the standalone release is to provide access to 1.6 features
in 1.5 ( top level tasks, etc ), and to create the precedent for a
'decoupled' ant release.

One of the things I'm working on is
ProjectComponentFactory/ProjectComponentHelper - which will hook into
component creations, allowing various antlib solutions. This will also
allow future releases of sub-sets of the current tasks and lazier-loading
of tasks ( which will also cut 2-3 secs of the startup time :-).

Some code will have to move into the main tree - the interfaces/hooks.
If a concept is accepted by majority, and if a particular interface
is accepted as a hook mechanism - it must go to both ant1.6 and the
standalone embed, and the mechanism will be useable in ant1.5 the same
as it'll be in ant1.6.

--
Costin