ant-dev mailing list archives

From "didge" <di...@san.rr.com>
Subject RE: preprocessing java source
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2002 21:00:20 GMT
There isn't any real disadvantage to using the <ppjavac> task to preprocess
as a distinct task before <javac>.  But, just as the C preprocessor is
automatically called for you, I wanted the <ppjavac> to be integrated into
the task for compilation, a sort of drop in replacement for the javac task.
However, an additional option could be added that would allow compilation to
be optional.  Then you could preprocess and compile in two steps, as
desired.  You would only have to coordinate the location of the preprocessed
files between the two tasks.

I'm not exactly clear on the development process you're suggesting in your
second comment, but the concern of checking in preprocessed files is that
one you check in a preprocessed file, all the information that yielded the
file, e.g. VTL directives, cpp #define, etc., are lost and you can't go back
(except maybe manually and at great effort).

The problem with developing source using a preprocessor is just the same as
in C or C++.  But, in both C and C++, pragma are used to coordinate
debugging with the original source.  Java has no such facility, at least no
standard one that I know of that is exposed, so debuggers can only go
against the preprocessed file.  So, if you want to debug, you must use the
preprocessed output, but only make your changes to the source.

didge