ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: xml namespace support in ant2
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:56:02 GMT
Frankly, this sounds great Costin. But, from what you are writing below, it
sounds that you have thought a lot on the issue of antlibs and use of
namespaces in Ant, yet I haven't read anything about this prior to this
particular message... Did I miss the discussions on it?

I'm afraid that once more a big chunk of good code will get vetoed because
not thoroughly discussed by the community before-hand, and not easily
digestible by pieces. Sure, having something already implemented that works
is a great base for discussions, but looking back at what happened not too
long ago with the Ant2 proposals, maybe it isn't enough after all.

In summary, I'd like to be able to hear more from you about how you want to
tackle antlibs, imports, etc... so that maybe I get my views / use cases in
from the users perspective, and also (and maybe foremost) so that some kind
of consensus agrees it's the right direction.

But maybe I'm just ignorant of how Open Source project work again... --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Costin Manolache [mailto:cmanolache@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 12:33 PM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: xml namespace support in ant2

My opinion:

1. I hate using schema for validation. XML is not the only way to use
ant - there are already projects using ant tasks as beans, and it's a good
code reuse.
Besides, schema is still slow ( and will allways be - due to it's
complexity). Even Relax or simpler schemas can't ever beat the if()
in the task, which also cover the use of the beans.

2. However schemas are good for documenting the task and for possible
tools. As long as we don't use them for validation ( which I'll -1 as strong
as I can ).

3. The embed proposal uses SAX2, but it is not doing anything ( yet ) with
the namespaces. My original plan was ( and still is ) to use the namespace
as an ID, and use it to locate the task definition using getResource().
For a task in NS, I would look up META-INF/ant/encoded(NS)/SOMETHING - and
locate the description of the tasks in that namespace and additional
metadata. The descriptor should support both properties (for simple cases)
and an XML form.

4. A very tricky issue is the syntax of the ID. We can use a meaning-less
string, or a URL that can be used to download the lib. Even in the first
case ( arbitrary string ) we can have a 'antlib registry' - but it would
be extra overhead. I know there are many (strong) opinions on this.

5. Even if ns is added, most people will still prefer to use the default
namespace. It's just much easier to type and use ( at least IMO - and from
what I've seen ). Should we restrict the default ns to ant core tasks and
force everyone to use ns for extensions ? I don't think so.

6. Namespaces should be used instead of 'taskdef' whenever possible
( i.e. the descriptor  ).

Costin

--
Costin