ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [embed] Standalone release ?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:43:59 GMT
Sorry to barge in in this thread, but it worries me when Ant (or one of its
potential successor and/or extension) starts depending on other projects
(from Jakarta or elsewhere), themselves built using Ant...

I personally think the Ant core engine should be stand-alone, and thus built
completely in isolation. Then additional layers depending on other projects
could be built in the proper order, hopefully through some kind of Ant-lib
mechanism. That entails that the dependent projects can be built using a
partial Ant though.

Or am I just missing something? --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 4:31 PM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: [embed] Standalone release ?

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:28, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have gump working ( on my own system ), and so far there are no
> > differences. I'll check with Sam about adding them to one of the
> > boxes after I find a clean way to do it ( right now I hacked some
> > files ).
>
> This is how Peter enabled the Myrmidon builds as well ;-)
>
> Basically he added a parameter to the stylesheet that creates the
> build script, should be straight forward reuse that.
>
> I don't think you've addressed "bootstrap Myrmidon and then build
> everything against the new Myrmidon version" with that, Peter?

I had a separate profile to do it. Basically I bootstrapped ant1.x then
built
all the required libs (ie bootstrap-excalibur-tar and
bootstrap-excalibur-i18n), built myrmidon and then rebuilt all the libs
(including excalibur-i18n and other bootstrap jars).

There was a bit of duplicity but seemed to work well.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we
cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our
responsibilities." -Josiah Stamp