ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Felder, Brian" <BFel...@providence.org>
Subject RE: nantcall task (was: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET compile)
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:20:43 GMT

From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 4:20 PM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: Re: nantcall task (was: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET
compile)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felder, Brian" <BFelder@providence.org>
To: "'Ant Developers List'" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 3:41 PM
Subject: nantcall task (was: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET compile)

> I like the approach of calling NAnt from Ant. Just out of curiosity, I
built
> a <nantcall> task. I'm attaching a first cut at this, with tests. It's
> extremely simple: it takes a NAnt buildfile name, and a space-separated
list
> of targets. [NANT_HOME]/bin must be in the PATH for this to work.

comma separated, surely. Spaces are valid in target names.

> I'm not sure if there are issues related to using this within Cruise
> Control. If it works as Curt says, perhaps this would be a good way to
have
> Ant drive a build process that includes both Java and .NET code.
>
> Brian

one thing that <ant> does is pass down  references and properties, messages
sent from below are passed up, things we have to replicate across processes.
We have the same problem with <nantcall> as one would have with <subant>
with fork=true, if that were ever implemented.

The obvious solution here is (and its a good one)
-define an XML wire protocol that can be used between an ant process and a
sub process.
-use that wire protocol over std-in and std-out, or over tcp loopback

If done right, the same protocol would work for nant, ant w/ forking and
remote access a la rant. SOAP would seem the obvious choice, though it
doesnt have a stdio transport that I am aware of.

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to
whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are
not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or
distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you very
much.