ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg K Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: handling external resources
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 04:07:47 GMT

Shackelford, John-Mason wrote:
> Craeg,
>

>>It would be great if there could be some new Ant resource of
>>some kind -- perhaps a new datatype -- that represented a
>>chunk of parsed XML.

<snip/>

> By having the xmldatatype tag I could move the deployment definition out of
> the build file and into a configuration file. My build script would then
> look some thing like:
>
> <xmldatatype file="my.xml" class="org.apache.leftfield.DeploySet"
> elementname="deployset" id="my.deployset"/>
>
> <deployset deploysetref="my.deployset" key="${deployment.box}"
> propertyprefix="deploy.box"/>
>
> <echo>
> 	Preparing to deploy to:
> 	ftphost = ${deploy.box.ftphost}
> 	ftpuser = ${deploy.box.ftpuser}
> </echo>
>

> Would something like this help?
>

> John-Mason Shackelford

Our requirements are quite different, but I bet there is a design for an
<xmldatatype> that could satisfy both requirements.  If the data type
represented a DOM, then perhaps it could also provide some
kind of XPath support.  That way you could grab the value of a
node out of it:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

   <deployset>foo</deployset>

using an XPath expression.  Is that what you were thinking?
That would be very useful IMHO.

Of course, at first none of the existing Ant tasks would know
about this new datatype,
but we could retrofit them one at a time (xmlvalidate, xslt, etc.)

Sounds like a good idea to me.  If other ant-dev-ers agree, then
we should try to pick a good user API (the name of the datatype and
the attributes).

--Craeg