ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg K Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: handling external resources
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:35:51 GMT
Hello:

Sorry, not offering a solution, rather echoing the query.

I have had nearly the same question; mine was with respect to performing
multiple XSLT transformations on an XML document.  Right now, everything is
file based, so if I read in an XML file, validate it, then pass it through
n transformations to yield the final result, I will be reading and writing
the XML to disk many times.

It would be great if there could be some new Ant resource of some kind --
perhaps a new datatype -- that represented a chunk of parsed XML.
Perhaps a DOM object or something.  That way you could pass that
around from task to task efficiently, only writing out to
disk when you really want to.

This kind of thing is even more interesting when you are executing Ant
tasks from a servlet.  I have often thought about using Ant as a task
engine for a website with XML-based content, sort of a poor man's Apache
Cocoon.

Thoughts?

--Craeg