ant-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <>
Subject Re: xml namespace support in ant2
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:02:08 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> [top-level tasks]
> It has been accepted, and personally I find it very useful; I am able
> now do do all sorts of initialization stuff, also in imported files, and
> for example I can xslt-transform a project before importing it.
> It's quite powerful, and not confusing at all.

As for XSLT-then-import: what's the advantage over
  <project ...>
     <target name="default"
        <ant src="build2.xml">
(sorry, can't be bothered looking up the correct syntax).

>> [QNames]
> This is the current use:
>   ${jxpath:/references/}
>   ${velocity:$mystuff}
> They tell Ant that the property must be resolved not directly but using
> a defined interceptor; sort of the protocol in inet urls.

If the semantic of the jxpath prefix is hardwired or defined by
something like
   <bind prefix="jxpath" handler="whatever.class.necessary.Handler"/>
it's ok.
If it aquires it's semantic by
   <project xmlns:jxpath="">
then it's abuse.
Note that it would be legal to have the namespace declaration above
if it doesn't define how ${jxpath:/references/} is interpreted, for
example in case someone wants to have a <jxpath:mytask> somewhere
(though this is hardly recommended). I hope you see the pattern.

>> [scoping rules] [property namespaces]
> Any more concrete hint on how these should be?
Ahem, perhaps using ${} or something.
Every method other than using xmlns:scope-name="..." would be fine.

>> What's the expectation: is X from B executed or not?
>> Is it executed before or after X from A?
> :-/
Oha! Caught?

> We're defining it as we discuss.
Ah, ok. A dedicated effort would still be a nice idea, I think.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message