ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xml namespace support in ant2
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:19:54 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:08, Wannheden, Knut wrote:
>
>>I know this topic has been brought up before (e.g. in "Optional tasks"
>>thread of last december [1]), but I still wonder what is the actual plan
>>for the accepted requirement for Ant2.
>

> I don't think there is any plan for it at this stage. There are too many
> potential uses of namespaces and associated confusion. Do you namespace;
> * property names

no need IMHO.

> * types (aka tasks, datatypes, condtions, etc)

Hmmm...

> * property evaluation (ie "${javascript:performMagic()}"

This is already done via interceptors in embed:
  ${jxpath:/references/...}
  ${jexl:...}
  ${velocity:...}

> * target names (ie if you depend on foo:bar target will that execute bar
> target in foo project?)

Yes. This is similar to package names in Java imports, for name clashing.

> * aspects (ie add ant:fail-on-error="true" to all tasks)

Seems cool, but I don't think so, too confusing.

> That is too confusing for me as a developer.

Ok, what I said ;-)

?

> However I think you will find it hard pressed to validate anything without the
> runtime context being present. It may be possible but I think that it would
> need to be seen to be believed ;)

;-)

Costin has avoided using the namespace effectively till now because of
what you say; personally I find jelly a bit confusing because of these
namespaces.

I think that, apart from the virtual namespace in property evaluations,
the only need I see of namespaces is in imports of other projects, for
identifying the tasks-targets-properties? that can have different names.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -