ant-dev mailing list archives

From Colin Sampaleanu <colin...@exis.com>
Subject Re: JUnit task barfs on Linux on empty jvmarg value
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 02:30:24 GMT
Actually, on further experimentation, the Linux vs Windows/Solaris
differences appear to be due to other environmental differences. What is
happening in fact is that for all OSes, an empty argument still appears
to be treated by the java executable as the class to run, which it can't
find, same as if you had pass a nonexistent classname in. So using
        <jvmarg value=""/>
results in
   [junit] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
while
        <jvmarg value="whatever"/>
results in the more understandable
   [junit] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
whatever

What threw us off was the fact that the error message was so
non-descriptive; we never thought the empty arg was a problem and was
causing this, but assumed it was something else.

Maybe it is worth having ant not allow empty arguments to avoid this
kind of pain for others...