ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [embed] Standalone release ?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:27:54 GMT
On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:43, Dominique Devienne wrote:
> Sorry to barge in in this thread, but it worries me when Ant (or one of its
> potential successor and/or extension) starts depending on other projects
> (from Jakarta or elsewhere), themselves built using Ant...

go have a look at gump - it has been doing it for a long time.

> I personally think the Ant core engine should be stand-alone, and thus
> built completely in isolation. Then additional layers depending on other
> projects could be built in the proper order, hopefully through some kind of
> Ant-lib mechanism. That entails that the dependent projects can be built
> using a partial Ant though.

Some of this could be done - it would be extra work to separate them
completely as we would end up having duplicates of some tasks. In particular
the zip task. We would need a bootstrap-zip (Using JDK classes) and a normal
zip if we wanted to remove that pass.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald