ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [embed] Standalone release ?
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:02:07 GMT
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:37, Costin Manolache wrote:
> I just want to get some feedback from ant commiters.
>
> embed is currently in proposal, and is an alternative implementation
> of ProjectHelper hook, intended to work as an add-on to existing Ant1.5.
> It provides some of the features that are already included in head
> ( top level tasks, etc ), and some extra features that may be
> adopted in 1.6 ( or not ).
>
> I would like to propose moving embed out of sandbox and create
> a standalone release for it, as an official ant module. Of the
> existing features only some will be documented and supported,
> i.e. those that are aproved for the next release ( like top level
> tasks ).
>
> My primary goal is to have a number of features and code adopted
> for the next release of ant. A secondary goal is to have all those
> features available to ant1.5, so people can use them right away.

Well I am fairly opposed to some of the features you have added and I don't
see them as improvements. I think the best strategy for you to get something
released is to move the code to commons and do a release or two there. Then
you can try to repropose (or not) the features into ant.

It would also be to your advantage to get gump builds working for your fork. I
had myrmidon builds going in parrallel to the main gump build and then did a
diff on the the "scorecard" to see the differences between myrmidon and main
ant tree. The infrastructure is all in gump and I am sure that Sam/Stefan
would be happy to have embed running on at least one of the boxes each night.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald