ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using tasks in composition
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:16:08 GMT
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:04, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I was adviced to use composition rather than inheritance when
> extending the existng tasks in Ant. Basically, instead of extending
> the Ant class, create an instance of it and use it in my own
> task that inherits directly from Task.
>
> The problem is that the initialization process is not done by the
> createTask method in Project.
>
> Is there a helper class for this?

Unfortunetly not. And even if there was, Ant does not guarentee any sort of
API compatability anyways. We try to remain compatible at the XML
representation level but it is not uncommon for the underlying code to
change.

So if you go this path you need to be willing to nag ant when they break
something or accept the potential upgrades every release.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald