ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: nantcall task (was: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET compile)
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 23:20:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felder, Brian" <BFelder@providence.org>
To: "'Ant Developers List'" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 3:41 PM
Subject: nantcall task (was: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET compile)

> I like the approach of calling NAnt from Ant. Just out of curiosity, I
built
> a <nantcall> task. I'm attaching a first cut at this, with tests. It's
> extremely simple: it takes a NAnt buildfile name, and a space-separated
list
> of targets. [NANT_HOME]/bin must be in the PATH for this to work.

comma separated, surely. Spaces are valid in target names.

> I'm not sure if there are issues related to using this within Cruise
> Control. If it works as Curt says, perhaps this would be a good way to
have
> Ant drive a build process that includes both Java and .NET code.
>
> Brian

one thing that <ant> does is pass down  references and properties, messages
sent from below are passed up, things we have to replicate across processes.
We have the same problem with <nantcall> as one would have with <subant>
with fork=true, if that were ever implemented.

The obvious solution here is (and its a good one)
-define an XML wire protocol that can be used between an ant process and a
sub process.
-use that wire protocol over std-in and std-out, or over tcp loopback

If done right, the same protocol would work for nant, ant w/ forking and
remote access a la rant. SOAP would seem the obvious choice, though it
doesnt have a stdio transport that I am aware of.