ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET compile
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2002 03:00:48 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Arnold" <carnold@houston.rr.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 17:12
Subject: Re: Optional task: Visual Basic.NET compile

> > > I'd love to have some way to do the equivalent of "Generate
> Documentation
> > > Web Pages" from Ant.  However, I don't see any easy way to do it.
> >
> > do mean ant task documentation? proposals/xdocs
>
> What I was desiring was a  C#/VB.Net/J# equivalent of the <javadoc> task.
> You can generate for .NET code the rough equivalent of javadoc output
using
> the "Tools/Generate Comment Web Pages" (or something similar) menu option
in
> from Visual Studio.NET.  However, there does not appear to be an
equivalent
> command-line tool, the documentation xml file produced by the C# compiler
> does not contain the method signatures that would be necessary to generate
> the an equivalent file using XSLT or similar template language, and
Doxygen
> doesn't support C# yet.

OK, I see. I didnt know the CSC generated file was inadequate. Bummer. And
while VS.net does so much in an IDE (but no fancy refactoring), it irritates
me that you cant automate it into your build. Example: database driven web
pages need to be reassembled every time you change the schema.

> I did a little more digging today and found NDOC
> (http://ndoc.sourceforge.net) and the corresponding NAnt task
> (http://nant.sourceforge.net/help/tasks/ndoctask.html).  Something like
that
> would be helpful to have in the .NET tasks.

What I'd like to do would be to leverage the <defineset> and <libset> stuff
of <cc> for .net defines and references -there is no point reinventing that
stuff. But to do that, we'd have to pull the <cc> codebase in to ant's CVS
tree. Do you think it is time? I do.

-steve