ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subversion in Ant (was Re: Attribute naming)
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:56:17 GMT
On Wed, 07 Aug 2002, Bruce Atherton <bruce@callenish.com> wrote:

> Perhaps a project could do this as part of their install process:
>

>      ant -install newtask.jar

Sure, why not.  The effect would probably be the platform independent
version of

cp newtask.jar $ANT_HOME/antlib

or whatever.

>> I've added Subversion support to Gump.

Before you get too excited, let me clarify this.  I've added support
for Subversion repositories - and it requires a Subversion command
line client - as an alternative to CVS repositories.  Nothing more,
sorry.

> but I didn't (and don't) really understand how to integrate C
> language builds into Gump.

This is far beyond what I wanted to do.  My goal was to enable
building of Java projects that live inside a Subversion repo.

The main problem you'd have with Gump right now is that its notion of
failed dependency entirely relies on produced jar files.  OK, you can
fake that by adding something like <jar name="libapr.so" /> but (1)
the library would not be available to the dependent builds (it would
be on the CLASSPATH) and (2) its not platform independent.

If you are really interested in adding support for this to Gump, let
me know and we can discuss this off-list - but it'll have to wait
until after my vacation.

Stefan