ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subversion in Ant (was Re: Attribute naming)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 06:34:59 GMT
On Mon, 05 Aug 2002, Bruce Atherton <bruce@callenish.com> wrote:

> It is important for all of us to keep in mind that there is an
> inconvenience factor attached to running third party tasks in
> Ant.

This is why we need <antlib> so badly.  It must become as easy as
dropping a file in a given location to install a task.

> For example, if I write an Ant build script for an open source
> project, I will avoid using anything in ant contrib because I want
> to minimize the inconvenience for people

Or you could go about it the other way around (like Maven or Centipede
do) and download all the stuff at build time (I think Centipede
bundles the ant-contrib tasks, dunno for sure).

> Should we then incorporate into Ant all tasks that are submitted? Of
> course not.

We seem to agree here 8-)

> One of my itches is to see CVS disappear.

and here as well.  I've added Subversion support to Gump.

> I'd like to see a Subversion task in Ant for strategic reasons
> rather than technical ones.

I understand that.

> Your argument is also a strategic one, that it would be helpful for
> Ant to have a good example of how to do a third party task, one that
> can be pointed to for all the other task makers to use as a model.

Exactly.

> I think this is a good point but given what I said above, does it
> have to be Subversion?

It certainly doesn't have to be Subversion.  But it would be helpful
if it was a task that is in widespread use.

If you follow the logic of "many people will use it, so bundle it",
people will still want to include their tasks in Ant's distribution -
and if it just was for the same strategic reasons you are following.

Stefan