ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subversion in Ant (was Re: Attribute naming)
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 11:51:30 GMT
Kieran <kieran@esperi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hypothetically speaking, if the code were to be hosted outside of
> the ant tree, would it still be OK to be in the package
> "org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs"?

Legally, see clauses 4 and 5 of Ant's license.  I think it would be OK
with 4, but probably not with 5.  Apart from that, I wouldn't
recommend to do so either, because it would only cause confusion for
users (where did this class come from?).

> The AbstractCVSTask class is a fairly nice base to adapt, but there
> are accessibility issues if it's moved outside the package.

So let's deal with these issues.

AbstractCVSTask is supposed to be extended, and it is supposed to be
extended by classes that live in a different package.  If there are
obstacles, let's remove them.

Stefan