ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] AntJMX
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:09:09 GMT
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, David Jencks wrote:

> I like all of this.  I will repeat my previous assertion that ant has a
> great deal of functionality overlap with jmx and that ant 2 would be
> considerably simpler if it consisted of several mbeans to be run inside a
> jmx mbean server.

And why would that be in ant2 ? I was thinking in terms of add-ons
for the current ant1.5.

The nice thing about JMX is that it doesn't require you to implement any
interface or do anything special - and the patterns are identical with
what ant uses.

Each ant task is a very nice MBean - all that's missing is the XML
descriptor for a model-mbean. With introspection-based mbeans ( like
DynamicMBean in tomcat ) you don't even need that.

> For comparison, the jboss xml format for specifying an mbean and its
> initial configuration is something like this:
>
> <mbean code="org.somewhere.MyClass" name="myjmx.module:service=DoItNow">
>   <attribute name="att1">value</attribute>
>   <attribute name="att2">value2</attribute>
> </mbean>

Yes, that's exactly the format I was proposing for the jmx task (instead
of createMBean).

Costin