ant-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Subversion in Ant (was Re: Attribute naming)
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 19:27:26 GMT
On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> Compare that to the cost for Subversion users of leaving it out of Ant
> proper. Retrieving code from SCM systems is core to performing builds,
> which is why we support such a variety of them. If a Subversion task is not
> part of Ant, everyone who wants to use it has to find the task class in
> their Subversion installation and include a <taskdef> with the appropriate
> classpath. We couldn't easily share build files with Subversion tasks

Beeing able to do <taskdef> with an explicit classpath ( instead of
putting all the jars in ant/lib ) is a benefit. And you don't need
to use the classname - you can just have a resource with all the
task  ( META-INF/subversion.tasks ).

That would make your task available to existing ant1.5 (and 1.4) users and
you'll be able to make changes independent of the long ant release
cycle.

We also hope that antlib will be available in 1.6 and will automate a lot
of this.

> As far as the maintenance burden goes, I've been a contributor to the
> Subversion project for a year now, so I'm willing to take on all the
> maintenance duties there, as well as to provide the task in the first place.

The problem is that your task will only be available in the next
ant release - which may take a while. We don't even know how it'll
be called - it may be 1.6, 1.9 or even 2.0.

If you keep it in subversion CVS - all commiters on subversion will be
able to work on it. In ant  - ant commiters will have to make the
changes.

Costin