ant-dev mailing list archives

From jlcarpen...@household.com
Subject Re: Creating custom data container rather than task for use as nested element in a custom task
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:55:09 GMT

<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/develop.html#nested-elements>

>Stefan

I had read the develop.html portion of the manual refered to but it was a
bit vague on the object representing the nested elements.  The reply from
Erik Hatcher that explained that nested elements of non-container tasks
simply correspond to data containers with no execute method (or at least
they can be that simple) helped.  I mention this only because I think its
one of those things that is not as clear in the documentation as it might
could be.  Once I understood what Erik Hatcher wrote, the develop.html
manual page was very straight forward.

I am still a bit confused as to when a class corresponding to a nested
element should inherit from the org.apache.tools.ant.types.DataType class
(i.e. the fairly simple org.apache.tools.ant.types.Substitution class).
The answer seems to revolve around when one needs to use reference ids.

I have access to the Oreilly Ant book via Safari http://safari.oreilly.com
but have not found a good answer there.
I do not yet own Erik and Steve's book published by Manning.  Is this
question answered well there?

James Lee Carpenter
Software Engineer
Household Technical Services