ant-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Subversion in Ant (was Re: Attribute naming)
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 02:47:54 GMT
At 01:46 PM 8/5/02 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>The same could be said for each and every other third-party task.

Yes, it could. It is important for all of us to keep in mind that there is
an inconvenience factor attached to running third party tasks in Ant. That
ends up having a chilling effect, and will even with antlib in place. For
example, if I write an Ant build script for an open source project, I will
avoid using anything in ant contrib because I want to minimize the
inconvenience for people using the script, which means minimizing the
dependencies they have to install before they can use it.

Should we then incorporate into Ant all tasks that are submitted? Of course
not. Apart from the maintenance burden there is the additional download
size and the additional complexity of having yet more tasks to learn. These
have to be balanced against the cost of installing third party tasks to all
users who need that task. The more users, the higher the cost.

So what makes a Subversion task worthy of inclusion in Ant when so many
other tasks have to just  live with the inconvenience? As I said, I think
that accessing a version control system is a core part of a build system.
If Ant is going to provide any tasks at all, it should provide ones that do
this.

>Just to be clear, I'm not completely against bundling a svn task with
>Ant, but would really prefer to bundle it with svn - and make it a
>good example of a task that comes with the tools it requires.

And I am not dead set against bundling it with svn, but would really prefer
it in Ant.

One of my itches is to see CVS disappear. That means making it as easy as
possible for a user to switch over to Subversion no matter what their
environment. I'd like to see a Subversion task in Ant for strategic reasons
rather than technical ones.

Your argument is also a strategic one, that it would be helpful for Ant to
have a good example of how to do a third party task, one that can be
pointed to for all the other task makers to use as a model. I think this is
a good point but given what I said above, does it have to be Subversion?

Besides, imagine if my itch was scratched in a few years and there were as
many Subversion repositories as there are CVS ones now. Wishful thinking
perhaps, but then I always was an optimist. Would you still think it
desirable to keep a Subversion task out of Ant and make its users go
through the extra configuration steps of locating the JAR file in their
Subversion installation?