ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: API documentatio not online!
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:48:30 GMT
Ernst de Haan wrote:
> The Ant API documentation has not been online for quite a while.

It has never been online. What is there is really a skeleton for the build
process. The redirect trick is to support doc generation using either
javadoc 1.1 or 1.2+.

> Could this API documentation please be put online? I would like to refer to
> it from the API documentation of my own task.
>
> If generating is a problem: I have generated the API documentation for Ant
> 1.5 (Tag "ANT_15_FINAL") and put it online here:

Generating it is not too hard :-) - we do it as part of the release building
process. The potential issues with the apidocs online are:

1. The Ant website is maintained in CVS. This is how most of the Jakarta
website is stored. To make the manual available would require it to be
checked in. (OK, it may not be absolutely necessary - more later). That is
possible although somewhat tedious to maintain.

2. The API docs are about 17 Meg.

3. All Ant users have a copy of the API as part of their install anyway.
While making it available online is nice, it is not strictly necessary.

4. Disk space & bandwidth are not unlimited at Apache. These will be
increased over time but as you know things expand to fill the available
space :-)

Currently some committers have access to the Website and could place the
APIdocs there without placing in CVS. It is less likely that this access
will be provided as time goes on, however. The trend is to automate the
deployment of websites from CVS minimizing access required to the webserver
box.

I guess refreshing the website from Gump would be possible which could
include the APIdocs.

Overall I'm not so fussed. The above are just some points to consider. How
do other people feel about it?

Conor