ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: How do I create ant task elements nested two or more deep?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:40:45 GMT

Wannheden, Knut wrote:
> This new DynamicConfigurator indeed looks interesting.  If I understand it
> correctly I can now also have attribute names with dashes and colons in it.
> So the following example which is impossible with the old reflection style
> is now possible with a DynamicConfigurator:
>
> 	<taskdef name="foo:bar" classname="foo.Bar"/>
> 	<foo:bar foo:baz-attribute="ok" xmlns:foo="urn:foo-names"/>
>
> Of course this example would look like it uses XML namespaces but from Ant's
> viewpoint it really doesn't matter.

DynamicConfigurator does not add anything special to make the dashes and
colons work - it merely allows a task to support dynamic attribute and
element names and decide internally whether to support them or not.
XDoclet uses it to support dynamically loaded "subtasks" within their
main tasks, supporting only the ones that exist within the classpath it
has access to.

But, yes the colons and dashes are supported by DynamicConfigurator, but
  I would not recommend overloading the colon as that is, as you said,
used by namespaces which will be supported by Ant in the future.

	Erik