ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: logging with INFO priority
Date Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:27:06 GMT
Can you not simply take advantage of Log4j's category mechanisms to
filter out the category logged by taskStarted/taskFinished which is the
class name of the task?

Thats the beauty of Log4j-like logging - that you can simply log stuff
out without much regard for how its used later, and then filter it using
run-time configuration.

Bernhard Lenz wrote:
> We configured our build scripts to use ant's Log4jListener to log the
> build outputs.
> Unfortunately the log outputs get cluttered with tons of "Task started"
> and "Task finished" statements which are created by the
> and taskFinished
> methods which log with INFO priority. We cannot filter the INFO messages
> because other important information (e.g. execTask, etc.) is logged with
> INFO priority.
> Does it make sense to change the
> and taskFinished
> methods in the ant code base to log with DEBUG or VERBOSE priority
> instead of INFO? I believe start and finish statements (especially on
> the task level) is more debugging information rather than helpful info
> data.
> What is your opinion?
> Greetings
> Bernie