ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: versioning projects with the ant runner
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 20:40:51 GMT

Stephane Bailliez wrote:
> [...]

Well, first of all Centipede is changing in these days to use the new
Ant embed proposal... anyway, here is a brief description for a
knowledgeble person, who you are.

Centipede is concretely an Ant distro, with already present in the lib
dir the new embed proposal, jxpath (used in the proposal), ant-contrib
and jjar.

I took the ant scripts, changes *ant* to *cent*, ANT_HOME to
CENTIPEDE_HOME, and that's it.

So the core motor of Centipede is Ant+embed proposal, and any normal Ant
project can be run by Centipede.

The real core of Centipede is a buildfile that projects can <import>,
and that gives common services: it downloads the project required
libraries from a repository using JJAR, downloads, expands and executes
Ant plugins called Cents, and makes available information for the
project from Gump's project descriptor.

The Cents are simply buildfiles that can be imported, along with the
libraries and resources they need.

For example, the JUnit cent has the JUnit jars, the Junit style
stylesheets and a buildfile for doing common unit tests.

Each cent already knows where to operate because I enhanced the Gump
descriptor with the info needed.

Currently we are refactoring to use the embed prposal, since before we
used entity includes and antcalls.

Apart from that we will be soon ready to roll another beta and make Gump
runs avaliable.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -