ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Task scoping, configuration, logging (Re: Contributing to Ant?)
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 10:10:27 GMT
On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:33:01PM -0400, Otto von Wachter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been following the Ant project and recently subscribed to the
> ant-dev list. I love Ant, and I would like to be actively involved
> instead of just standing on the sidelines. I would also love to
> contribute to the project in some way.
>
> I have a few ideas of areas that I would be especially interested in contributing:
>
> * Define task contexts that define various common aspects (logging,
> failure handling, etc.), and assign them to tasks.

That would be very useful. Tasks could implement marker interfaces, like
Configurable and LogEnabled, and Ant then passes them a Logger or
Configuration object. Standard Avalon stuff.. are there any plans for
anything like this in 1.x?

> Just to give you some background about myself, I'm a Java developer,
> and use several of the Jakarta projects (Ant, velocity, turbine,
> jetspeed, etc) in my work. I actually have used Ant quite a bit, even
> beyond a build tool, to run batch jobs, etc. I know that the focus of
> Ant is to remain maily as a build tool, but I'm curious if there are
> any other efforts under way (or inteterest in the community) aimed at
> leveraging the strengths of Ant for other purposes? I noticed a mention
> of "Peter's cron-server" in the Ant2 requested featrues and it sparked
> my curiousity.

Self-plug: http://aft.sourceforge.net, and Ant-based functional testing
framework. Relating to your comment above, it implements a scoping system
where tasks can belong to 'groups', and groups contain loggers and
configuration properties, which are applied to all group member tasks.
Groups are inheritable. Full description at
http://aft.sourceforge.net/manual/Grouping.html. I'd be very interested
in a more general task scoping and configuration system.

--Jeff