ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Easily compare two XML files (Suggestion for new ant utility)
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:09:36 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sbailliez@apache.org>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: Easily compare two XML files (Suggestion for new ant utility)

hence 'canonical XML' and canonical diffs.

One big issue w/ XML is that the ability to escape stuff like this: &#32;
means that two files can be very different in format, yet parse to the same
infoset. Likewise, is a UTF16 version of a file identical to the same
content in UTF-8? The infoset matches.

...I think XML diffing is a separate beast from ant, but that it should of
course come with an ant task so you could diff it. I guess it needs an
xmlpatch too.