ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Otto von Wachter" <von...@yahoo.com>
Subject Contributing to Ant?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:33:01 GMT
Hello,

I've been following the Ant project and recently subscribed to the ant-dev list. I love Ant,
and I would like to be actively involved instead of just standing on the sidelines. I would
also love to contribute to the project in some way.

I have a few ideas of areas that I would be especially interested in contributing:

* Define task contexts that define various common aspects (logging, failure handling, etc.),
and assign them to tasks.

I am interested in AOP, etc. and it also occurred to me that this would be an excellent way
to implement common functionality across tasks. I have experimeneted with AspectJ and am very
impressed with it, but I'm not sure if Ant was planning on going this route or simulating
aspects with plain Java.

* Move to a system that allows docs to be generated - doc snippets should be included with
the tasks they document. (Which DTD? Which tools for generation?)

An idea I had: could a task descriptor provide information like which attributes/combination
of attributes are required, etc., and this information can be used to generate documentation,
as well used to enforce the contract, either by generating code to go with the task, or by
ant checking at runtime. I think this would be good because a) the documention will always
be in sync with the task, and b) it would simplify the process of writing a new task.

I would be interested in helping with development of these features, or any other areas that
need development resources.

Just to give you some background about myself, I'm a Java developer, and use several of the
Jakarta projects (Ant, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, etc) in my work. I actually have used
Ant quite a bit, even beyond a build tool, to run batch jobs, etc. I know that the focus of
Ant is to remain maily as a build tool, but I'm curious if there are any other efforts under
way (or inteterest in the community) aimed at leveraging the strengths of Ant for other purposes?
I noticed a mention of "Peter's cron-server" in the Ant2 requested featrues and it sparked
my curiousity.

Regards,
Otto von Wachter