ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephane Bailliez" <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Easily compare two XML files (Suggestion for new ant utility)
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:25:53 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: <jlcarpenter@household.com>

> I was not recommending creating a new generic xml diff utility.  I was
> talking about convenience functionality that would help unit tests
> extending the org.apache.tools.ant.BuildFileTest easily compare XML output
> files with expected XML output files.  The description of my particular

How do you want to compare XML output without it being generic ?

Some may consider formatting as a difference some may not.
Some may consider order as a difference some may not
Some may consider attributes equals to the default implied value as a
difference some may not.
etc etc...

> case was intended to help provide guidance as to what such a unit test
> might encounter.  Isn't this a very ant specific function?

Not for me. For instance a specific function of ant is to read xml file, and
it makes use of a parser...no parser was created in ant to do that.
An xml diff tool is complex enough to justify it's existence in commons
(assuming it's not already done I can't say) if it needs to be a jakarta
project but certainly not in ant.

Just my opinion of course. It does not mean I'm right.