ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Creating custom data container rather than task for use as nested element in a custom task
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:53:04 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <jlcarpenter@household.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: Creating custom data container rather than task for use as
nested element in a custom task

> I am still a bit confused as to when a class corresponding to a nested
> element should inherit from the org.apache.tools.ant.types.DataType class
> (i.e. the fairly simple org.apache.tools.ant.types.Substitution class).
> The answer seems to revolve around when one needs to use reference ids.
>
> I have access to the Oreilly Ant book via Safari http://safari.oreilly.com
> but have not found a good answer there.
> I do not yet own Erik and Steve's book published by Manning.  Is this
> question answered well there?

um, no. We blissfully ignore those classes and say 'refids are handled
automatically' with datatypes, skirting around the 'you'd all better share
the same classloader 'problem, which crops up where we look at the C++ tasks
and types.

remember for nested text elements you need to do property substitution
yourself.
--steve