ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/helper ProjectHelperImpl.java
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:59:53 GMT
On 11 Jul 2002, <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>   Allow all tasks to be used outside of targets.

OK, this has been the easy part, but we are not there yet.

(1) You still need at least one target for Ant to do something.

I'd like to drop this limitation, which at the same time means we'd
have to make the default attribute of <project> optional - leaving it
out would mean that only the tasks that are not part of any target
would be run.

(2) If we change (1) we need to revisit <ant> and <antcall>.

Currently <ant> and <antcall> without using the target attribute
implies running the called project's default target.  What if there is
none?  Run the tasks that are not inside targets?

(3) ant -projecthelp will run the tasks that are outside of targets.

It has been doing so for <property> and <taskdef> since it has been
invented, but nobody has noticed.  Now this will become a problem.

I think we'll have to change ProjectHelper's interface to tell
ProjectHelper to only parse but not run tasks.  The cleaner
alternative probably would be that ProjectHelperImpl doesn't run the
tasks at all, but this may run into side effects with properties not
being defined but referenced in data-types.

Nothing unsolvable, but I want to gather feedback before doing
anything here.  Also there will certainly be issues I have missed so
far.

Stefan