ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:14:17 GMT
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> 1. I understand why you are breaking it up by dependency, but IMO it
> should be broken up by functionality, and each jar can have its own
> dependencies (or not)

This would make Jose Alberto's "classpath is getting too long"
argument even stronger, wouldn't it?

The other thing is that ORO may be needed by several of these jars and
I'd have to (locate and) remove all of them to get around the
delegating classloader problem.  This may be a documentation problem.

> This makes it more obvious what antlib you need to run a particular
> task.

Agreed.

> 3. we need a manifest to handle versions and dependencies; it could
> be the normal manifest, or it is our own XML descriptor.

XML.  Let's agree on a format to start with and use that.

Stefan