ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Splitting up optional.jar
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:19:05 GMT
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> Since <junit> won't work without junit.jar, I think it would be much
> better if the task would be included in junit.jar in the first place
> ( and maintained by junit people ).

Some historic trivia (you may already have been unsubscribed when
<junit> has been added).  When Thomas Hass and I wrote <junit>, JUnit
hasn't been an open source project, we had no choice of where to put
the stuff.  If it had been, we would have lobbied for it, especially
since they've been using Ant to build JUnit since Ant's very early
days.

> So I think all dependency, version, etc should go to MANIFEST.

Could live with that, but would prefer to have all information in a
single place.

> The task=classname should go in a properties file ( and I think
> we should settle on a default location and name - like
>  META-INF/ant.properties ).

That doesn't work if you want to ship data-types as well, you'd end up
with two property files.  This is why I prefer a single XML file that
can be used to define tasks and types at the same time.

Stefan