ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] target-less build files - counting results
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:33:26 GMT
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> I'm getting tired of this discussion. I don't know if someone is
> counting the votes

I've done so.

We've had six +1s and one -1 by the committers who did not abstain
(and Stephane's explicit 0).

Most arguments we've seen are arguments against task at the top level
in general, not arguments against target less build files, which means
they are irrelevant for this vote.  ant-dev has agreed by lazy
consensus that we want to allow all tasks at the top level, if anybody
wants to make the vote explicit, feel free to do so.

Having said that, we are faced with the choice between

(a)
<project>
  <echo>Hello world</echo>
</project>

and

(b)
<project default="foo">
  <echo>Hello world</echo>
  <target name="foo" />
</project>

(b) is possible no matter how this vote ends.

Peter's reasons for his -1 are [1]:

,----
| Removes clarity and structure from build file. The evolution from
| target-less to targetful build process can also be ugly.
`----

Comparing (a) to (b) the first argument is not valid IMHO, I cannot
see how (b) is clearer than (a).  Also I fail to see how the evolution
from (b) to good and modular build files may be easier than from (a).

Peter, any other reasons?

Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=102697745627127&w=2>