ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:27:49 GMT
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, <dion@multitask.com.au> wrote:

> But, back to the point, is running a 'jar' or 'javac' outside of
> ant's scope?

In some way, yes.  Running Ant tasks in isolation is not really what
Ant is not Ant's goal, but it comes out of other changes as a
by-product.

Ant 1.6 will allow (one of the first things I'm going to change after
the 1.5 relase, so I know it will 8-)

<project>
  <javac ... />
</project>

I'm not sure how you'd want to simplify that even further, but a
custom ProjectHelper, which plays the role of Ant2's pluggable project
builders/parsers will allow you to do a lot of stuff in 1.5 already.

> If not, then are you saying Ant must always require a build file?

Even 1.5 doesn't to run a single task - ask Costin. 8-)

Stefan