ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what I want to see in the next version of ant
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:43:20 GMT
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> though of course gump runs off CVS-head which may be an issue.

Not on my machine 8-)

Apart from publishing the result (I don't like passphrase less keys) I
could automate running Gump.

> What do I want to see in terms of task evolution:

Nothing that would require using a different code-base as far as I can
tell.  Many of these things are even simple enough to include them in
a 1.5.x release.

> Underneath all that, I want so say that maybe it is time to move to
> java1.2 and clean up all our classpath stuff, so that we can move to
> a good packaged world, get rid of so much classpath confusion,
> etc. Which means that we move to something called ant2.0

No problem with getting closer to that.

Given what we've promised to people out there, I think we really need
to increase the major version number if we switch to JDK 1.2.

> Compatibility is always the issue. With a 2.0 number we can get away
> with incompatilbities that are obvious and easy to fix, but we
> should still avoid any subtle incompatibilties that only take time
> to show up, as users wont catch them.

+1 in general, but I'm not sure how we want to achieve that.  The
change in <ant>'s property overriding mechanism that has broken the
Avalon builds hasn't been caught by Gump and ant-dev agreed the old
behavior was wrong (a real bug, not only slightly incorrect), but yet
we didn't see that people relied on them.

Stefan