ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 et al.
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:06:29 GMT
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> I identified what was wrong with Ant1.

I completely agree that there are things in Ant 1.x that are bad and
that can only be fixed by changes that break certain parts of the API.
I also complete agree with the Ant1 issues you have identified and
that they need to be fixed.

My key requirements for backwards compatibility are build file level
compatibility and "practical" (as you call it) compatibility for task
writers.  I think this can be done by compatibility layers that both
proposals already provide to a certain degree.  Taking this point I
can live with either proposal as well as the evolutionary approach.

I also completely agree with you that a consensus vote on which path
to follow is bound to fail and that the only decision can be made by a
majority vote.  I think that the option to merge the Mutant and
Myrmidon code bases doesn't really exist, for technical as well as for
non-technical reasons.

I do have a very strong bias for one of the two proposals for
completely non-technical reasons - and can't have technical reasons as
I've not even tried to analyze either proposal yet.  This shouldn't
affect my vote as - unless some serious technical issues should come
up - I'd abstain from the vote and go with the majority anyway.

Stefan