ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] target-less build files
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 07:58:16 GMT
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Patrick Heck <> wrote:

> I like the idea of targetless build files, as long as it doesn't
> create a magic name,

The current implementation reserves the target named "" for the
top-level tasks.

> If this is implemented,

It is - in the HEAD branch.

> I think we should consider requiring that all non-target tasks occur
> before the first <target/>.

Remember that <property> is a task.  I agree with you that it would be
a lot cleaner to require this, but it sure would break a lot of build
files if we didn't allow <property> to be used between targets (I'm
sure there are enough examples of build files that do just that).

> So we would probably need to make exceptions for taskdef, property,
> and typedef because they are already allowed anywhere,

One of the main reasons for top-level tasks was to remove exceptions 8-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message